Using Gajim to connect to Google Talk
Update: It seems that at least with Gajim 0.12.5 and googlemail.com only the steps 1 to 6 are needed to use the XMPP functions of a GMail account.
Update: Google's latest default settings force to login with OAuth. You can turn off this feature in your GMail "Account Settings" -> "other" -> "allow less secure apps".
To configure your Account:
- Start Gajim.
- If this is the first time you start Gajim the Account Creation Dialog shown below will come up. If the dialog does not come up click on Edit then click on Accounts and click New in the window that opens up.
- Select I already have an account I want to use and click Forward.
- Enter the following information:
- Username: your Google Talk username (without any @ symbol or domain)
- Server: gmail.com or, if you are a Google Mail user in Europe, googlemail.com
- Password: if you want to log in automatically enter your password
- Click Forward.
- Click on Finish.
You should then be connected to your gmail account. If, by misfortune, the connection fails, follow the next steps:
- Right click on your gmail account row, and select Modify Account, then select the Connection Tab.
- Select Use custom hostname/port and enter:
- Hostname: talk.google.com
- Click Save.
En: IMPORTANT NOTE: You can use 443 port and SSL (legacy), if the port 5222 are closed!! enjoy :D (UPDATE: as of writing this (2009-04-12) the port used by gtalk is 5223)
Es: Nota importante: Si tu puerto 5222 está cerrado puedes usar el 443, pero debes marcar usar SSL (el viejo)
That's it! Now you are ready to connect to Google Talk using Gajim.
*Voice chat not supported*
Please note that if you are using a Google Apps account, you have to use the steps above and use your my_login@ mydomain.com instead of my_login@ gmail.com.
Note: if you want another nick to be displayed instead of your Gmail username, set a family name and apply this patch (if you have Gajim 0.11.1 or below).
- Account Creation Wizard.png (21.3 KB) - added by anonymous 9 years ago.
- Account Creation Wizard-1.png (23.8 KB) - added by anonymous 9 years ago.
- Bildschirmfoto-Account Modification.png (27.2 KB) - added by anonymous 9 years ago.
- Account Creation Wizard-2.png (24.4 KB) - added by anonymous 9 years ago.
Download all attachments as: .zip